Sunday, September 17, 2006

Bandai Golf - Challenge Pebble Beach

Golf. The art of driving hard, avoiding the rough, surmounting traps and hazards, aiming straight, and arriving on the green at last, only to end up in a hole in the ground before your companions. The favored pastime of businessmen and their cronies, probably without a full appreciation of its metaphorical implications.

In the grand scheme of things there are good ideas and then there are not so good ideas. Then there are ideas like making a video game about golf. That ranks right down there around making a video game that involves competitive paint drying. Still, at least there are no dragons flying around with giant bell peppers on their heads in this one. I've got that to be thankful for.
Bandai has actually done some good things in the entertainment industry, so I guess I can forgive them for putting a lobotomized squirrel in charge of new game development. Actually, I take that back now that I think about it. Bandai brought us the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, so I'm quite prepared to blame them for everything from the extention of the dinosaurs to communism to the continued popularity of Justin Timberlake.
The gameplay on this, if you could call it that, if pretty simple. The game more or less aims for you, so the only real thing that you have to do is press a button to start your swing and then press a button when the cursor is in the right little area. This involves pressing one button. That's all. Terry Schievo could have done that much. If I'm ever in an accident that leaves me paralyzed in every part of my body and I'm only holding onto life by a sliver of hope, I'll have to remember this game as a possibility. Playing this for more than 20 minutes should give that little sliver enough incentive to just go ahead and quit so I can get on to the fiery torments of my eventual reward.I'd prolly score about as well too...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home